Friday, June 25, 2010

OK, I Will Go And Have A - What?

Life is easy, isn't it? Getting some sleep, having some food from time to time, earn some money, go out and meet some friends - ad infinitum. At least that is what life is meant to look like according to most advertisements and at least some people I know (like my neighbor, but that is a completely different story).

I am almost embarrassed to say so but, well, I beg to differ. And this time it is not because I tend to have a point of view that is not exactly congruent with the public opinion. Maybe it is because I am worried easily, maybe it is because I ponder too much but somehow it never was that easy. I wonder why.

No, not really. I think I have at least an idea what is keeping me and maybe some of you too from living a life that easy. This is not to say that I hate my life, far from it. Obviously life really is what you make of it. Or more like what you achieve to build from the humble remains that are left at the end of the day. And the weekends of course.

So it turns out to be a fine art to live an easy life - or to have a life at all. Like with the arts there are limits, borders, rules one has to deal with, and even though the grass is always greener on the other side there is no trespassing. So, the point should be just to know (not necessarily accept) the limits and make the most of the room that is left. Quite easy, isn't it?

Many people have similar border lines in their lives. They have a nine-to-five job, which tends to be a eight-to-six job, commute not included, not to mention all the self-employed persons - or retirement pensioners. Some have families or a companion, maybe children who need (and sure should get) their attention. - Are these things really life's limitations? Or are they what really makes up a life?

Good question. What are the things that make up a life? The waves of promises and suggested wishes or secrecy desires the advertisements bring to us? Or the joyrides of all day long sun and fun? Is it about things or happenings at all or is it about the feeling we get (and keep) in the end, driven by the lot of our experiences and (sweet as well as sad) memories?

Well, I don't know. I am convinced that only few people really do because they found some answers. They foud *their* answers. And they live their life in their own special way. That said I think that this really is the key to it: their life, their way. So it is supposed to be your life you live your way - and my life I should live my way. (And for some reason a particular song by Mr. Sinatra comes to my mind... Anyway.)

In the end - or in the beginning - life is easy. It becomes just as complicated as you like or allow it to be. Sure, there are influences that are beyond our control. But at least there is no reason why one should let others dictate the way how to live a life and what to do with a life. As long as it makes you feel good and as long as hurting or annoying others is limited to a acceptable minimum everything is fine. Some like the life of a sweating squirrel with a mouth filled with nuts and trying to whistle a tune. (Special thanks to @lionape for this hilarious metaphor!) Other like to spend as much of their life as possible chilling and relaxing. Very well, just do it!

Life is easy. Go and have one - I will go and have mine. One day. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment